In structural editing, I read papers thoroughly and comment on The Big Picture: the paper’s overall structure, clarity, and flow. I point out strengths and weaknesses:
- Is your thesis clear … and threaded throughout?
- Is your hypothesis precise and measurable?
- Do your ideas flow logically?
- Is your argument convincing?
- Are the concepts well supported with facts, examples, statistics, theory, citations?
- Do you address the problem, question, or thesis identified in the introduction?
- Does your conclusion reflect your findings and offer a fresh perspective?
I also point out:
- “Holes” in logic
- Where transitions are needed
- Where lifeless quotes could be paraphrased
- Extraneous information that could be cut or placed in footnotes
- Murky sentences that need rewriting
- Where additional facts and details could clarify an idea
- Language bias (age, cultural, gender, racial, religious, etc.)
In structural editing, I do not copy edit for spelling, grammar, and punctuation … papers should be edited beforehand.
Structural Editing Fee: $50 for 1,000 words.
Call (617) 547-7647 to discuss your project and deadline, or email details to email@example.com.
Note: Please carefully read the edited document to review all of my changes and comments. I use Microsoft’s Track Changes (Revisions menu) so you can see every change, and accept or reject each.
Also see Disclaimer.